How do you care for your cashmere scarfs? Hand wash or dry clean? If you hand wash, how exactly do you do it? I’m not that domestic goddess but in this case I would advise to hand washing over dyr cleaners. Not only because it more cost effective but also dry cleaning fluid is incredibly hard on the fibers, and will cause them to dry out and break before their time.
Don’t do it. Just don’t.
Instead, hand wash your cashmere scarfs in cold water and baby shampoo. Yes, really! Baby shampoos have very few surfactants, so they’re extremely gentle, and they smell great as well, which makes up for the fact that a wet cashmere scarf smells like a wet dog.
Here’s the low down on washing your cashmere scarfs:
1. Clean out the sink. Be sure to wipe up any cleaning product BEFORE you plop the scarf in.
2. Fill the sink with cold water and a few squirts of baby shampoo. Baby shampoo has fewer surfactants and is gentler on the fibers. Don’t use regular detergents; they are too harsh and will dry out your scarf.
3. Plunk it in the water; gently squeeze until the scarf is wet through. DO NOT wring or twist.
4. Use a tiny bit of baby shampoo on the specific spot; massage gently with your fingertips. Rinse and repeat if needed.
5. Leave the scarf to soak for three to five minutes.
6. Drain the sink; rinse the scarf until the water is clear and the scarf is soap-free. Gently squeeze the water out of the scarf. DO NOT wring the scarf.
7. (Almost done! Promise!) Lay a clean, dry towel on your clean, dry kitchen table. Lay the scarf flat on the towel and roll it up. Gently squeeze the towel to draw the rest of the water out of the scarf. Again, DO NOT WRING
8. Lay ANOTHER towel on a flat surface; spread the scarf out flat. Voila! You’re done! I lay my scarfs on top of the dryer, to speed drying, but be warned that if the dryer is running and warm, this will also spread the wet dog smell.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.